Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday Morning

I’m going to a church in South Minneapolis these days that is really a wonderful place.  When I wrote about God cracking me apart, church was a part of it for sure.  I’ve been thinking about the church these days.  And I’ve been thinking about intellect versus the heart. 
            But before even that, I’ve been thinking about Bethel.  What my experience was while I was there, how it prepared me for the world I’ve been in for the past 5 years, what I railed about when it disappointed me, the quiet gratitude that I feel when I think of the place.  Even while paying off…All. Of. That. Debt. 
It was worth it. 



I’ve been remembering a certain feeling of aliveness while I was there.  Is aliveness a word?  It is today.  I knew a great community of people there.  Being an RA makes you face that too…you can’t step away from it, even when it’s tough.  In that year, I met some of my favorite people.  I am beginning to see that God brings you to things in your life that feel different because you’re older.  But wherever you are, at whatever age, knowing Jesus makes you alive alive alive in a very broken world.  Sometimes it’s awesome.  Sometimes it feels really terrible instead.  Your heart isn’t exempt from breaking a little too. 

Right now, God is moving my ship.  To a new place, in a new direction, for new reasons why.  I feel this close to my heartbeat, and I sense it at obscure times.  But I still hard to understand.   I think that a lot of it is that I remember again this thing called joy.  And that it’s still the thing that always surprises me and makes me alive.  It’s what keeps drawing me to Jesus. 

            The intellect and the heart is a thing I’ve mulled over for years now.  How they blend, how they separate in the inner workings of a person’s life.  Teaching brings this out.   Chapter 3 is literally called ‘The Role of the Church in Medieval Europe’.  Chapter 9 is ‘The Teachings of Islam’.  Chapter 32 is ‘The Impact and Spread of the Reformation’.  I talk about church history at my job.   With kids who are 12.  In a public charter school.  (But finding a church in my 20s has been - really, really - one of the hardest things.)  There is a way to teach with the head and the heart, which is something I have wrestled with.  It is something I have made sure to learn in the last five years.   Let me tell you, church history at the 7th grade level omits many things that I learned in other places.  But it can be good there too.  And this is the side of life called intellect. 

              Sometimes when I want to talk about this with other people, they get intimidated and say things like,’ You know so much about history, and I don’t.’  I think, in that moment, ‘Who cares if people don’t know everything about history?’   If people watched me try to find my way to most places in Minneapolis, their perception of my supposedly extensive intellect would clear, I am sure.  And sure, I know names like Huldrich Zwingli and Jan Hus, and I can tell kids about the Church of England in 1534.   Every single day, it’s what I study. And I’ve been given a mind that happily memorizes…(….everything except street signs).   But there’s more. 


I want to talk about these things more closely.  Closer to the thing called grace, with the head and the heart so plainly together.  The story of Jesus, which I find winding its way through our broken histories all of the time.  Which is what helps when your own life is undone.  I really want to talk about Jesus.  And not religion and politics, and not always the church in 1534.  Instead, what he has done for me.  This new church is, once again, ‘reorienting me to grace’.   Which is that a church body is supposed to do in such a broken world.   I think that of course intellect is not missing from church.  And shouldn’t be.  But life is not a textbook.  Or a snapshot.  Or always very easy to understand.  When I come to Hiawatha Church in such a careworn state, I see each time that I am so grateful to be reoriented to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment