Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Careworn Little Heart

"The Ragamuffin Gospel....is not for the super spiritual....is not for the fearless or the tearless....

The Ragamuffin Gospel was written for the bedraggled, beat up and burnt-out.....it is for the sorely burdened who are still shifting the heavy suitcase from one hand to another....it is for the poor, weak, sinful men and women with hereditary faults and limited talents...."

I took little parts of the forward of Brennan Manning's book, wrote them out, and put them on my desk.  For moments like this.  Right here, right now when the words would feel profound for my careworn little heart.  


Just me, just these papers on my desk, just a lull in the day before I once again teach.  There is still more to do.  But God meets me at this desk. 

I'm not super spiritual.  I don't feel that way.  I'm not fearless, and I'm not tearless.  I'm breathing and blinking and typing.  Feeling the import of the Gospel, NOT far away, but close to me.  As close as breathing.  Abba Father is for me.  The great I AM is paying attention to me.  And all I'm doing is sitting at this desk and breathing and typing and blinking.  All other sounds are muted and far away, meant for five minutes from now when the bell will ring and the landscape will once again change.  

This is the best moment of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment