Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Your Very Best Page



A few years ago I encountered a lovely book that has been a sound teacher ever since and very good medicine for the soul.  It's called She... and it was written by Kobi Yamada and the Compendium, Inc. company.  I saw it once in a bookstore in Duluth and became almost immediately obsessed with it.  It was way too much money, but later Briana got it for me for Christmas.  It was cheaper through Amazon, and she got one for herself too.  Smart and admirable. 


This book is a tribute to women we know who are good and true and completely what they are supposed be.  It is full of statements about the depth and creativity of inspirational women.





I am such a fan of this book because it's a trusty reminder to women to be sure of themselves and identify what is wonderful and good about being a woman.  It doesn't suggest a specific style, but it does offer a look into a style that women can carry and posses.  How the things that they believe about themselves propel them to action in a very beautiful way.  


I feel fascinated by this book because it is a listing of subtle reminders that challenge and advance a woman's concept of who she is.  I appreciate that it is not aggressive and overdone in declaring womanhood.  I have learned enough about history to know that women who lived before this time did not have access to views that this book offers, and likely had very little of what I deem to be common and available in my own view of being a woman in America in the 21st century.  They didn't hear these very freeing statements.    


So I have to love it even more because it is weighty with good truth and it makes me grateful.  She... is a deliberate and thoughtful take on being what you really are, and I immediately think of girls who are about the age of my students when I see this too.   They need to hear this!  All women need to hear it, really, but being 12 and 13 is especially difficult, and sometimes I can see it on their faces, and these are the comments that come to mind when I sense all of their frustrations.  It's good to have the hopes that take you beyond 8th grade every once in a while.  Things do change and become brighter and better again.  I always say that I like being with kids who are 13, but I am glad that I am no longer a 13 year old kid. 


But what I love at all ages is the permission this book gives to think beyond about what you really present to the world.  So often people are defeated before they even begin.  This includes men of course too.  Everyone struggles with some of these very human things when they choose to seem what they really are.  But She.. gives special voice to gaining perspective and remembering to be outstanding.


The nicest compliment I have probably received in the course of this entire year dealt closely with the terminology of this book.  I am sharing it because it stunned me.  I have decided my very best page is one that emphasizes the whole world feeling like home.  I chose it to celebrate warmth.  It has always been important to me.   And then one day one of my 7th grade girls included at the bottom of the writing piece, "Miss Christians, you make everything feel like home."


Again, truly stunned.


It made me realize again that when we set our hearts on specific things, they find their way into the details of our days.  And doesn't this bring to light more of the good mystery of the world?  People have no idea how they can affect others.  I was shocked by the connection to what I had chosen and her perception of life in my classroom.   And what she said brightened the year.  How many times have people buoyed others by just smiling?  Or seeing  and honoring the things right in front of them?  This book, I have found, can take you to heart matters very quickly. 


A few years ago, I started taking pictures of women in my life holding this book open to their favorite page.  I want them to stand with something that they know describes them best.   It found its way to our Bible study and I am so glad that though the creative project that I tuck in the shadows has not had a direct timeline, I still have the memory of knowing what spoke to my good friend Kari.  Since her death last year, the words have been especially meaningful.  I think she chose the page that described her in the very best way....


 




    Celebrate her choices.


I will be traveling with this book and my camera again.  Women that I know!  Be ready!  You will be asked to read it and find your very best page.  So that this is easier when this time comes, and  you don't feel flustered, here are the statements.  Be honest and bold.  What is true of you? 




She must be something special.  She is.  Celebrate her.
  • She loved life and it loved her right back.  Celebrate her passion.
  • She listened to her heart above all the other voices.  Celebrate her wisdom.
  • She pursued big dreams instead of small realities.  Celebrate her priorities.
  • She saw every ending as a new beginning.  Celebrate her resiliency.
  • She discovered her real measurements had nothing to do with numbers or statistics.  Celebrate her self-esteem.
  • She was kind, loving and patient...with herself.  Celebrate her tenderness.
  • She woke up one day and threw away all her excuses.  Celebrate her accountability.
  • She realized that she was missing a great deal by sensible. Celebrate her spirit.
  • She turned her can't into cans, and her dreams into plans.  Celebrate her goals.
  • She ignored people who said it couldn't be done.  Celebrate her independence.
  • She had a way of turning obstacles into opportunities.  Celebrate her magic.
  • She went out on a limb, had it break off behind her, and discovered she could fly.  Celebrate her faith.
  • She discovered that she was the one she'd been waiting for.  Celebrate her self-reliance.
  • She added so much beauty to being human.  Celebrate her presence.
  • She walked in when everyone else walked out.  Celebrate her friendship.
  • She just had this way of brightening the day.  Celebrate her radiance.
  • She made the whole world feel like home.  Celebrate her warmth.
  • She decided to enjoy more and endure less.  Celebrate her choices.
  • She decided to start living the life she'd imagined.  Celebrate her freedom.
  • She colored her thoughts with only the brightest hues.  Celebrate her optimism.
  •  She was an artist and her life was her canvas.  Celebrate her brilliance.
  • She ran ahead where there were no paths.  Celebrate her bravery.
  • She crossed borders recklessly, refusing to recognize limits, saying bonjour and buon giorno as though she owned both France and Italy and the day itself.  Celebrate her joie de vivre.
  • She head her head high and looked the world straight in the eye. Celebrate her strength.
  • She not only saw a light at the end of the tunnel, she became that light for others.  Celebrate her compassion.
  • She designed a life she loved.  Celebrate her joy.
  • She took the leap and built her wings on the way down.  Celebrate her daring.
  • She said bye-bye to unhealthy relationships.  Celebrate her happiness.
  • She remained true to herself.  Celebrate her authenticity.
She made the world a better place.  Celebrate her. 








No comments:

Post a Comment