Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Archives, Old and New

Back in the 90s, kids didn't dress like miniature adults (unlike kids today and colonial times in early American history). During my childhood, kids wore oversized shirts, stirrup pants, and neon socks with jelly shoes and thought nothing of it. I remember this because I see 5 year olds today who look really put together, and I really don't recall have any of that fashion at such a young age. And it's lots of 5 year olds, not just one or two. Friends who happen to teach elementary school have confirmed this as well.


Back in the 90s on colder days, there were full windbreaker pantsuits involved. And yes, those were neon and patterned too. Everyone who grew up in the 90s knows this style. And they probably have pictures in their archives that prove that what I am referring to is true of their childhood in some way as well.

Sometimes though when I talk to my friends about earlier years, and we discuss the reality that we felt dorky, I know that they have no idea how blatantly and tangibly the dork factor was represented in me. People who were on the edge of being dorky could sense the fashion or go along with a trend, at least a little, even if it was skewed or misread. (Example: rolling your socks in a way that seemed right, but, upon leaving the locker room and entering the gym before class, clearly wasn't.)

I believe I really just had no clue.



When I was in 6th grade, I got into the unfortunate habit of wearing a Mary Engelbreit t-shirt every day of the week.  Every single day!  Not like uniforms that my students wear.  I wore t-shirts with these designs on them.

Hello firstborn child choice....
This is the one I had to explain to classmates the most.

I picked this one because my dog looked like the dog in the picture.

I was outrightly teased about this one.  My brother and cousin would repeat over and over again, 'Books fall open.  I close them.'  90% of the time, the reaction they were hoping for unfortunately followed.

No idea, really, why I chose this one.  Cool border? 


Disclaimer: I like lots of Mary Engelbreit designs even today. I just wish I hadn't worn them so repeatedly in the 6th grade.

It doesn't really matter now because even though that was painfully awkward, I really didn't pick up on anything strange about these best loved t-shirts back then.  I thought I was being creative in mixing them up throughout the week (though I'm sure to my teachers that year I was 'the kid who wears those Mary Engelbreit shirts') and when people asked me why I wore them so much, I said, "Yeah I just like books and reading a lot."  In 6th grade, this is a fairly reasonable answer in regard to your clothing. 
There is a Mary Engelbreit picture that I see and think 'This is July' every year.  I love the lilt of the poem by June Polis and the older representation of a holiday by the sea. 



I saw that picture again today and was inspired to think of other quotes I know and love.  So this became an evening made for meandering.








3 Good Reasons for Collecting Quotes...

1. Words from others can glow a little when they are simple and said well. I love this.
2. Quotes illuminate places that are shadowed by everyday complexity.
3. When it's simple, you see what strikes you and get a clue about your current angles on life.

I always keep the ones that say something very good to me. Here are a few of them that are tried and true.
  
"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
- Leonard Cohen


"How far that little candle throws his beams. So shines a good deed in a weary world."
- William Shakespeare



“There is no effect more disproportionate to its cause than the happiness bestowed by a small compliment.”
- Robert Brault


"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. ”
- Michelangelo


“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
- Harriet Beecher Stowe




“It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.”
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.



 
“What is uttered from the heart alone, Will win the hearts of others to your own.”
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. ”
- Thomas Paine





“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.”
- Victor Hugo

1 comment:

  1. I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and saw some random weird craft with her stuff and I was almost going to take a picture of it just to send to you. I remember you wearing those shirts too. I loved 6th grade Jessica in those shirts. :)

    ReplyDelete