Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Just a Little

Something in life shifted again and I began to feel older.  Not bad older, like I have creaky joints and we all have to just get used to it and not complain if we want to be a certain kind of old person.  Not older like your kid is going to college and you wonder what happened by each decade.  It was internal and subtle and still all about me. 

This is probably the look of the 20s. 

I sat at my desk at the end of the day at school, and felt one notch further away from something and closer to another.  At school, my periphery is perpetually 8th grade.  And as I age, I am so not.  When I was younger I knew certain things that they knew.  But now I don't.  Quite obviously I don't.   So I   listen better instead.  And sometimes I see them shuffle around the way they do and I feel so glad to not be half my age anymore.  These are probably the good things of a growing teacher anyway.   Listening to kids.  What a novel idea.  




 No one told us when we were younger that these were the sort of benchmarks of your 20s.  Or maybe they did, but I never listened.  (Probably this, at least in some way, probably this.)  This whole other set of questions and ideas and things to marvel about opens up in front of you.  And you feel sort of big and overwhelming about a whole other slew of things you never wondered about before.  Change.  All I'm talking about here is change. 

Closely connected to this is a link from the blog of Shauna Niequist (or the one she contributes to) and it zinged me today when I read it.  As you may know, I love her thoughts and her words.  Today what she talked about found an echo in me too.  I think that's the mark of a good writer.  She wrote about writing.  And about old things finding their way into new stories.   And how sometimes that's not really ok.  I feel this.

See below.  Feel inspired.   


http://storylineblog.com/2013/10/30/why-you-should-change-the-story-youre-currently-living/

No comments:

Post a Comment