Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Astonished Attention to Hearts


I stood at the counter in my kitchen this morning and made coffee and thought about hearts. 

About mine.  About people who I love. 

About the things of this world that so quickly go to conversations of the heart. 
Sometimes the most dynamic thoughts of the entire day come to me when I’m standing there in the quiet, early morning, in the few seconds when I anticipate the coffee.  When the coffee is poured, I am suddenly in the mood for writing.  A few short blinks later, and it is time to get ready for school.  And I’m ushered into the business of teaching, and any quiet thought while pouring the coffee comes back sparingly.  But the common trend is that the mornings always help my little heart. 

Yesterday at school I showed the students This Day in History online…it’s what we do for a birthday… and one of the stories talked about the first pacemaker that was put into a person.  He lived for 112 days with this first artificial heart.  And there it was, on the screen…they showed the chest cavity being opened and this machine being put inside.  Just for a second.  My students gasped.  I stared at it, and felt, once again, this profound gratitude that I’m not in charge of medical procedures.  And this amazement at the actual look of this process.  You hear about pacemakers.  You hear about recovery.  You do not hear about the moment when they lower the heart into the body. 

Hearts can mean so many different things.  It can mean a pacemaker, or the things in the margins on the homework I am grading, which is the common doodling practice of some of my middle school girls.  

It can mean Valentine’s Day, or how you reference the goodness of falling in love, or anxiety which makes it race in your chest.  Or, in contrast, the beating of your heart that tells you that the exercise has paid off and that you are strong.


I think you can look at it in a lot of ways.  It’s this muscle beating a rhythm inside of you your whole life long, or this abstract idea pertaining to the self. 

Heart can be what you sing about, what you do or don’t listen to, what you’re encouraged to not forget about.  It can be linked to the mind or the soul or separated from it.  It can be mocked or glorified.  Put into poetry.  Manipulated.  Healed. 

Your heart is always beating.  Isn’t that astonishing?  Before you were born, it was beating, and it will be one of the last things to fade when you die.  You can listen to the heartbeat of other people, and you feel that you know them.  Babies hear the heartbeat of their mother louder than most everything else, for the entire time they’re in utero.  Such a significant way to start a life.  We’ve all been there, and that is a lovely, often forgotten thing.  The business of life catches us and carries us to tasks.  But before any of that, before everything else that we ever experienced, we heard a heart.   

Today I heard a quote that moved me and stirred me up inside.  It considered the work of your life and what it creates.

‘When someone can present it (your work) in a way that is inviting someone into your joy – that’s when the most beautiful things are formed.’
– Josh Garrels

I think most would agree that they want to see the beauty of life.  And I think these beautiful things are connected to the heart.  Both the physical elements and things that are emotional and spiritual too  

The heart pounding in your chest tells you about your world and how you’re living in it – wherever you go, whatever you do.  It’s a timepiece that we don’t think about when we only hear the clock. 

But the heart is linked to the spiritual and emotional parts of living too.  When you say your heart is stirred by something beautiful.  When you feel joy.  When you talk about things in your world that are measure change and highlights of your life story.   When you share the very best of yourself with everyone around you.   

December?  Snow so suddenly upon us?  The Advent season and hope of Jesus?  It’s a good 
time for more of this in the daily perspective of my life.  Right now, more than ever, I choose to pay the most attention to hearts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment