Thursday, March 26, 2015

In Which I Notice


In Which I Notice 

The things of life I notice
Are timeless, wondrous things
Refreshed, restored, recycled
Now once again, I see

Awkward, charming unsafe ground
Growing, moving sea
Full of angst and all great hope
Middle school in spring




Sunlight meeting windows, 
The classroom floor, each face
I see fingerprints of God 
On students wrapped in grace

Kind and stumbling, heartfelt words
'I love the way you teach'
From this student, words for me
Before, quite out of reach

And simple thing, I see again 
How shyly-spoken words 
Would give fresh breath and new resolve 
To careworn, mountainous work

Timeless, wondrous thing, God knew
Simplicity restored  
These words would linger best  
By the teacher at her desk, at quarter's end

Now a balance, struck by time
Expands away from school 
I don't just teach and
History is not my only Adventure

Letters written, steady clocks
Breezy, winding roads
Rosy glow, held just for me  
In stories that unfold 

In my life

Fresh laundry peace, new beauty in age
The dreamy look of art
And just beyond, the smell of spring
A comfort all its own 

Like grilled cheese

Stress ebbs away each morning 
In introverted peace
Coffee, silence, lamp-lit start
And yoga helps me breathe

Simplicity sophisticates 
And tells a quiet story
Expansive room to pave the way 
For hues of life, for living 

I have noticed.


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I understand it better now that I'm working in a middle school too :) The mention of grilled cheese was a nice touch too. I appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete