Monday, March 23, 2015

When Your Life Is Nourished

I'm back to school today, and done with Spring Break, a week of my life which set me back on course in all things daily living.  

Last week I didn't dress up and talk about history for 6 hours with kids who are 12.  I organized my home, went to the dentist, and did my taxes.  I saw kindred spirit friends and did yoga.  I hung out with my parents. I thought about eating better food, and then started doing it.  I investigated nooks and crannies of my life, and then cleaned them.

I went to the Post Office during regular business hours and stood in line just to get stamps.  I can't even tell you how soul quieting and good it felt to do this one thing I really had to do. Ordinary is so good.  


Volumes of papers to grade and people to love and support in a classroom had completely worn me out, and I desperately needed a break.  And, let me tell you, admitting this is difficult for a teacher's heart because finding deep dregs of patience and forging on is a must.  It's what we all have to do.  But the cycle of the year is important, Spring Break is like a drink of blissfully cool water, and this season of change should not be ignored.  

I was weary and now I'm not. The last big life-giving push is upon us.  Spring is going to be good.  I can feel it in my bones.

__________________

Now I'm going back, and I've decided that this is the quote that is going to propel me into spring.  It's going to remind me of the deep need to create and nourish things in this world, for me right now as Miss Christians in a classroom.  

Middle school kids need a lot of support, a lot of positive energy, and a lot of understanding. An astonishing amount of it really.  Forget educational jargon when you get that close to humanity.  What helps is a lot of prayer.  Smiling helps too.

Who knew smiling could do so much in this world?  Smile more, and watch the world lovingly unfold in front of you.


______________________

This quote by SARK is going to keep me sane, keep me focused, keep me loving why I actually chose teaching at all.  This notion couples with quotes that already live with me in my classroom, words from others that stabilize and inspire.....


'Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?' - Mary Oliver 

'God's help is nearer than the door.' - Irish proverb 

'The great opportunity is where you are.' - John Burroughs

Simple, yes?  

I have discovered that when you pay attention to what zings you, what catches your heart, life gets a lot more thrilling and interesting.  For me, it shows me the work of my Jesus in my life and brings me peace deep down in my bones.  

Ask yourself this week what work nourishes you, even if it's not your mainstay in normal business hours.  And remember to enjoy it as you live this week of your own extraordinary life.      


No comments:

Post a Comment