Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Early and Still


Yesterday in my life the feeling of of being swept up and rushed along was no longer the order of the day.  There was a sincere and relevant time for things, and it made me feel that the momentum has come back.  My work makes sense again.  

I sent out the big 'D.C. info in May' spiel....the info we need, the timing, the import of it all.  That ship is in motion, and it's relieving that it's not all held by moi any longer.  It's out there for everyone else to navigate.  I find this kind of cozy and relieving...it's their trip after all.  I also made a giant project at the end of the day that took a million years to type out, revise, and structure.  But at the end of it, I said, 'Good job, Jessica.  You're going to use this for 5 years and it's actually not going to fall apart in front of you.' 

It's the happy reality of the 5th year teacher to be able to look at the things you create and anticipate the direction it will take.  




This morning I was once again enamored with the pre-dawn sounds, this fragrance of spring in the air, and looking out the window to to see 'not yet light enough' playing across the world.  I open my windows in the morning and crawl back into bed, and it is one of the best things, especially in the spring.  In the summer you have the drone of early morning lawn mowers, and you start to think about humidity later in the day.  And Popsicles.  And I make myself think about sunscreen.  Always always the sunscreen with this one and the fair skin.  In the fall I think of the wistfulness of the winds and how comforting and wild and turning it is that everything becomes bare and gray. 

I like those seasons too, but I think our hearts are always different in the spring.  This creativity in God is so wild and unabashed and promising in the fact that leaves come back to us.  And then in the next breath so quiet when putting creativity into flowers.  I have always thought flowers, though quiet, still tend to say so much.

Here are some early morning quotes for good thoughts in May, wherever this day might take you.  

"Today a new sun rises for me; everything lives, everything is animated, everything seems to speak to me of my passion, everything invites me to cherish it." - Anne de Lenclos

"In solitude we give passionate attention to our lives, to our memories, to the details around us." - Virginia Woolf

"The one fact that I would cry from every housetop - the Good Life is waiting for us - here and now." - B.F. Skinner

"Let us imagine the care of the soul, then, as an application of poetics to every day life." - Thomas Moore

"I wish that life should not be cheap, but sacred,
I wish the days to be as centuries, loaded, fragrant.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people.  Forget yourself." - Henry Miller

"The pitcher cries for water to carry
and a person for work that is Real." - Margie Piercy

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning." - Ivy Baker Priest

No comments:

Post a Comment