Saturday, August 25, 2012

'The Point, Gentlemen, Is That They Lived'

Today, with open windows and sweatshirt weather, I curled up on the couch and watched 'Ever After'.  And I was once again struck by how much I love this movie.   First, I am reminded of high school.  But there's more to it than that. 

There's also the beauty of the story.  That da Vinci shows up and eludes to all of his inventions, and that people get upset about class structure and political alliances through marriage.  And there are the elaborate dresses.  And the 90s woman mindset that shows up when, at the end, the main character wields the sword against Le Pieu and saves herself.   (I argue now this is both great and not so great at all.)  And best of all, that half of the time the main characters are talking it is about books.  

This is a very good version of Cinderella.



Beyond this, and every time, it all culminates in the end.  In the three lovely sentences from the narrator, the old lady with the comforting voice.  She says,

"My great-great grandmother's portrait hung in the university up until the Revolution.  By then the truth of romance had been reduced to a simple fairy tale.  And while Cinderella and her prince did live happily ever after, the point, gentlemen, is that they lived."

Cue dramatic music.  Cue French countryside.  (Maybe.)  Cue the implication of years and years of family history.  Cue one tear.  (Yes, this is always true.) 

As long as I'm admitting that some movies elicit one tear, and one tear only, I will tell you that this was true of 'The Notebook' as well.  But the major difference there was that I didn't like The Notebook.   I thought it was stupid.  The main character annoyed me.  In the theater, I forced out one tear because every one else around me was sobbing.  And I felt momentarily heartless. 

With 'Ever After' I get chills every time because I like talk about people who truly live.  And the people who wrote this story chose the right words.  And that is good too.  

Happy rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment