Monday, December 3, 2012

Simplicity and Snowflakes

I've once again been thinking about how fast the world goes along.  And when I want to step in and out of that.  I wrote a post about that a year ago, and I guess it goes along with the season.  I step into Christmas in December gingerly.  Not the whole part about a Light shining in the darkness.  But everything else that is so culturally strong all around us. It's truly overwhelming. 



I hear about people wanting to make things absolutely perfect for their kids.  People tell me it's fun to do, but I'm just not there yet.  And once I'm there, I hope the word perfect is not in my vocabulary.  And then there's the conversation about how many presents they have to buy for extended family and the amazing thing they found on Pinterest that they crafted (for under 4 dollars!) and on it goes.  I go on Pinterest for 2 seconds and blanch a little.  Crafting is not my cup of tea.  I'd prefer, literally, a cup of tea instead. 

There is so much striving in this world, Christmas season or otherwise.  And there is a time and place for the push, but at what cost?  I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I do want simplicity.  And less clutter.  And 'be here now'.  Especially in this season. A lifetime goes so fast, and by this age, you begin to see what you really want to do with it and who you want around while it's happening. 



For perspective with Christmas in America, I have resolved not to go to as many shops in the next few weeks.  Or not to look at the ads so intensely.  To feel no pressure to make anything on Pinterest.  And to exact what I really, really want students to do in class so none of us are buried in a mountain of paper without a purpose. 

Today at school we will be in a mountain of paper that is NOT being graded or assigned.  It's Snowflake Day!  This has become an annual tradition in my class.  Honestly the first year it was to preserve my sanity.  Now it runs itself, and by 7th hour the whole room is changed.  It's beautiful.  It inspires a new season.  And it's good to hear the kids cease striving for a time and shout and laugh and make snowflakes instead.   

 I love middle school.  They still play, and you still have to teach some of them how to make the circle snowflakes, but at the end of the day you can send a few kids downstairs to put the ladder back in storage and it is not the biggest mistake of the week. 

Cheers to simplicity, no homework due until tomorrow, and maybe a little snow...? 


No comments:

Post a Comment