Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Collection of Mismatched Thoughts

Earlier today I posted some pictures of words that have inspired me.  I chose them because it felt like I was living them, or learning something about them.  There are some seasons in life when all avenues are open to learning and things just come to people very quickly and assuredly, I think.  I've been experiencing life like that, and it's sweet.   I'm going to make a list of thoughts on my mind.  There is no theme here.  I just have a lot of thoughts rattling around in me.  Lists always help. Here, today, the list is about LIFE. 




1. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, and Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist are 3 books that have been incredibly insightful into heart work and questions I hold about life and living it. I suggest these books to anyone.







2. Seeing one student who worked and worked and WORKED for something always trumps any widespread frustration from entire class numbers of distracted choices.  It is nice to be incredibly proud of  and impressed with people and say the bold thing when they are bewildered by their own success.  It's what makes teaching feel alive. 


3. There is nothing like seeing Arianne Lehn at the Olive Garden.  Singing telegram (not ours) included.   



4. It really is true that to do good work you need to certain things.  I'm thinking of the picture I put up earlier today that gives this advice.  Isn't this a nice way to speak to yourself in tense or stressful moments?  Internally, of course. 

'Distinguish sense from nonsense' is my favorite part.  The world goes around with a lot of nonsense just accepted as truth or as having a valuable part of a conversation.  Most of the time, a lot would be cleared away if the nonsense had its proper place.  This is one of the biggest things I have learned since leaving college.



5. Real friends are people that you can relax in front of.  Briana came over to hang out last night and it felt like we were back in college.  That was really fun. (Happy 1st Anniversary today!)


6. This week I talked with a visiting teacher about her thesis work in a Masters program.  She needed teacher input across subjects.  It was then that I discovered that she was the one who gave our school an article last year about structuring class.  I read it, and liked it because primacy-recency research makes sense to me.  I pulled out the article that was sitting on my desk, and we both burst out laughing.    


7. There is a nursing home next to my house, and there is an old man who I usually see across the way.  I think he watches t.v. at night, and when I see him I wish him well and wonder about his life experiences.  How old is he?  What is it like to be old?  How is he doing?  I should just go over there and meet some people. 

I think the song 'Moon River' comes to mind because in a movie I once saw, the man that the main characters can see across the way in another building listens to this every night.  Sometimes at night I play that song on my piano too.  Just to feel nostalgic. 


8.  On Monday night I had a dream that I was playing dodgeball with people I know from school, and instead of using a ball, we were throwing ice cream cones from McDonalds.  When everyone had managed to get one, we all sat down and talked.


9. This is the time in the year when everyone tries to figure out how old I am.  I always forget this, and the questions so casually put in front of me ('HOW long have you been teaching?' as they prepare to count on their fingers - ha ha) are usually very obvious.  I let them count on their fingers but then I tell them, and usually add something about women in general not preferring to be asked their age.  It truly doesn't matter to me right now, but it's nice to throw that in there. 


10.  Roald Dahl is timeless and The BFG is a conversation starter for people at any age.  I was talking with some of my students this week about the craziest dreams we ever had (hence, I am sure, the continued weird dreams throughout the week) and this is when I brought up The BFG.  I will admit here that in the first year of teaching, I was desperate to fill the last 10 minutes of class I could never get timed right.  I do not allow herding by the door waiting for the bell.  For some reason that is SO stressful. 

So instead I read to my students in the first 10 minutes.  I could have touted the importance of auditory learning and plot and perspectives and styles from European authors, but really I was reading to them from a 4th grade level book because I felt like it.  They liked it too.  It's very nice to be read to.

I would like to add an excerpt from this book.  It is one of the BFG's dream descriptions.  Prepare to remember your childlike wonder!  This is what Roald Dahl always does in his writing and that is why we love him.

I HAS RITTEN A BOOK AND IT IS SO EXCITING THAT NO CAN PUT IT DOWN. AS SOON AS YOU HAS RED THE FIRST LINE YOU IS SO HOOKED ON IT YOU CANNOT STOP UNTIL THE LAST PAGE.  IN ALL THE CITIES PEEPLE IS WALKING IN THE STREETS BUMPING INTO EACH OTHER BECAUSE THEIR FACES IS BURIED IN MY BOOK AND DENTISTS IS READING IT AND TRYING TO FILL TEETHS AT THE SAME TIME BUT NOBODY MINDS BECAUSE THEY IS ALL READING IT TOO IN THE DENTIST'S CHAIR.  DRIVERS IS READING IT WHILE DRIVING AND CARS IS CRASHING ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.  BRAIN SURGEONS IS READING IT WHILE THEY IS OPERATING ON BRAINS AND AIRLINE PILOTS IS READING IT AND GOING TO TIMBUCTOO INSTEAD OF LONDON.  FOOTBALL PLAYERS IS READING IT ON THE FIELD BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PUT IT DOWN AND SO IS OLYMPICK RUNNERS WHILE THEY IS RUNNING.  EVERYBODY HAS TO SEE WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT IN MY BOOK AND WHEN I WAKE UP I IS STILL TINGLING WITH EXCITEMENT AT BEING THE GREATEST RITER THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN UNTIL MY MUMMY COMES IN AND SAYS I WAS LOOKING AT YOUR ENGLISH EXERCISE BOOK LAST NITE AND REALLY YOUR SPELLING IS ATROSHUS AND SO IS YOUR PUNTULASHON.

 (Remember, the BFG never went to school either.  He does the very best that he can.) 
 
11.  Last thing. This week I learned that there are many more examples in history of people who look like someone from the past.  For a while, I was only really thinking this applied to a few people. But it's widespread.  My friend Maddie, who now teaches on the other side of the St. Croix, sent this to me.  

Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment