Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Common Business

Throughout life, I have always felt best when I have a desk in my home that sits in front of a window.  There is something holy for me about sitting down in front of a view to sit and think and write.  It is where I feel most like the self that I am, and where I love to meet with God.   

Once in college, an ed professor I had gave our class 'The Practice of the Presence of God' by Brother Lawrence.  It's short and beautiful and inspiring.  Brother Lawrence was a monk in Paris in the 1600s who believed that every common thing can be done to express love for God.  He washed dishes and felt God's presence there while he worked.  He says that meeting with God is simple and men make it difficult.        



"Men invent means and methods of coming at God's love, they learn rules and set up devices to remind them of that love, and it seems like a world of trouble to bring oneself into the consciousness of God's presence. Yet it might be so simple. Is it not quicker and easier just to do our common business wholly for the love of him?"

This morning the window is open, the sunlight is slowly coming in, I have hot coffee, Ingrid Michaelson music, and my work.  I'm grading short essays about the structure of the 13 Colonies and Clovis and the Franks and this is my common business.  And God is with me.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for pointing us back to Brother Lawrence's book! I love the reminder to celebrate God's presence in our daily tasks.

    ReplyDelete