Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sleeping and Waking

I woke up in a really nice way today to songs on Cities 97 that spoke to me.  However, before this, let me say before waking up, while sleeping, I've been having crazy dreams this week...really imaginative, strange ones that don't line up with reality.  I think this is because of all of the grading required this week just to keep things going.  I've spent a lot of hours poring over the writing styles of my students, and the dreams I have just feel wordy.  I love words, but not in dreams.  In the dreams, it just feels like chatter, and we all get enough of that in our day, right? 

I'm just glad that the settings in these dreams have stayed in modern times.  When they happen in other periods of history I wake up and have to analyze what would or wouldn't be historically accurate.  I HAVE to.  So that's annoying, even for me.  

The night before last, the dreams I had were just really silly things....saving a talking groundhog (with long, flowing hair) from his home business when people were trying to find him.  (And kill him?  Run him out of town?  Respond as another small business in these tough economic times?  Who knows..it didn't get that far.)  I threw him over the porch railing into bushes, and then I saw my sister there, eating biscuits.  It goes on and on.  I will spare you the details as they would prove to be quite the run-on sentence and I am in no mood for run-on sentences at this time of day.  



The point is, I thought about it during a meeting yesterday and almost started laughing out loud in the silence.  I'm really glad I had enough control and didn't do this in front of my colleagues.


Back to the music, which was the true intention of this post.  Mumford and Sons came on with the song 'Roll Away Your Stone', and I stayed in bed and listened to it in the darkness.  BT had just talked about the importance of listening to lyrics (THAT is why I like that station) and these words came in loud and clear today. Here's my favorite part of it.



It seems as if all my bridges have been burned,
You say that’s exactly how this grace thing works
It’s not the long walk home that will change this heart,
But the welcome I receive at the restart







Grace is always surprising.  So is the joy that comes with it.  Waking up to this is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment