Sunday, March 24, 2013

Making It Funny

I just had a conversation with a very good friend on the phone.   A very unexpected, plucky discussion to end the weekend and begin the week.  Amy is always authentic and fresh and funny.  (So are the things Peter says in the background.)  She can say something to commiserate with a story that makes it hilarious instead.    


I am all about forward thinking and pressing on and choosing not to dwell.  However, in the past few days, a story from my life in college, one especially mortifying and filled with decision making I would never make anymore, has plagued me. 




This mortification is momentary, and then I realign my current modes of thinking.  But the fact is, it's been bothering me.  I shared this with a few people, and they were quick to harken me back to the present.  (It's what I woud do too.  After all, it's 2013, not 2004.  Life is for the living.) 

But instead of saying what everyone else said, Amy said, 'Yeah, I'd be really embarrased about that too.'  She told me a story about throwing up in a car on the way to a ballet recital while dressed as a gray mouse, which weirdly applied to my life.  (For the record, my own humiliation from college, so strangely in my mind this week, did not involve throw up.) And then she reminded me of some part of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' which was like my life too.   She made it ok to say out loud.  And so so funny.  

Talking to her reminded me of the quote by C.S. Lewis that says, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” 

That's what it was like to meet Amy. 

Yes.  To that kind of friendship.  And memories from Bethel (...sans that one).  And that when I was there I was brought to so many good people.


No comments:

Post a Comment